MCFN By-Law #1609 PassedApril 16, 2020
Temporary Ontario Works COVID-19 Emergency BenefitApril 17, 2020
(For persons not on social assistance living on MCFN reserve)
The Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services (MCCSS) announced Emergency Assistance supports offered through Ontario Works for Ontarians who are in a crisis or facing an unexpected emergency and are unable to meet basic living expenses due to COVID-19. MCCSS has made the following changes to increase flexibility for administrators and expand access to emergency assistance:
- Extended the length of period for which an administrator may provide emergency assistance from 16 to 48 consecutive days.
- Adjusted eligibility criteria to provide administrators more flexibility related to considering “access to credit” when assessing whether a person has enough money to meet the basic living expenses of his/her benefit unit.
- The ministry has suspended the rule that limits emergency assistance to only once in any six-month period.
Emergency Assistance is available for those facing a crisis or emergency situation who have no access to other supports, including those who are waiting for new COVID-19 support from the federal government to become available.
Individuals in need of support with basic needs and shelter and/or medical related benefits are encouraged to contact Ontario Works to complete an application over the phone. If you need financial support to assist with basic needs, shelter or medical related benefits, please call or email to the following:
Norma McComb, Director of Social Assistance
, 705-658-4619 ext. 223
Edna Sutherland, Case Worker
, 705-658-4619 ext. 275
Hayley Cheechoo, Case Worker
, 705-658-4619 ext. 225
Ontario Works is required to determine eligibility for emergency assistance based on an assessment of the applicant’s ability to access other resources and meet their basic living expenses. They must also determine this based on the risks to the benefits unit and the danger to health or safety and the risk that a child would not be able to continue living with the family if assistance is not issued. You will be required to answer questions and potentially provide information to support your application. Determinations are based on the unique needs of the benefit unit applying.
Other Government Supports
* One-time GST special payment (Increase to CCTB)
* Canada Emergency Response Benefit (COVID-19 EI Benefit)
Information on these and other federal supports is available on the COVID-19 Employment and Social Development Canada website and on the Indigenous Services Canada website.
Thank you and be safe!