Helping those in financial need.
Our department helps people who are in financial need. It offers two types of assistance:
- Financial assistance, including:
- income support to help with the costs of basic needs, like food, clothing and shelter
- health benefits for clients and their families
- Employment assistance to help clients find, prepare for and keep a job. This assistance may include:
- workshops on resume writing and interviewing
- job counselling
- job-specific training
- access to basic education, so clients can finish high school or improve their language skills
In most cases, a client must agree to participate in employment assistance activities in order to receive financial assistance.
Emergency assistance is also available to people who are in a crisis or an emergency situation (e.g. people who have lost their homes, are leaving an abusive relationship and/or are worried about their safety).